DIY Moisturizing African Black Soap

Have you ever tried using the African Black Soap for body bath or hair wash?
I'm sure a lot of people have.




The most commonly sold brand is Dudu Osun.

I have used it severally for my hair and body and the truth is that I had my up and down sides. I read reviews  (Amazon, FashStyleLive, Chloe's Makeover) to satisfy my experience and found something convincing.

If you have acne prone skin and you intend to use Dudu Osun or Black Soap as a skin care, you must watch out for it

My Experience, Trials and Error:




I had pimples on my forehead and opted to use Black Soap (not Dudu Osun). I visited Abeokuta so I bought a large quantity of locally made black soap to give it a try.

Some Reviews stated that after the first few trials of Dudu Osun, their skin got used to it so they stopped experiencing the harshness. I had that in mind when I was buying the black soap so I decided to take it one step at a time.

How I use it.


Black Soap + Water


I grated the dry soap and put a small amount of it in warm water. I allowed it to melt through the night. By the time I was about to take my bath, I applied a little of the now-liquid Black soap on my face before I washed my body.



It felt very dry that instant. Even after taking my bath, my skin felt so dry and of course it itched a little but i feel it was because of the dryness.


Black Soap + Lemon Juice and Honey


It is said that citric acid has a toning property. From experience I feel Lemon has a milder effect that lime, so I went for lemon instead of lime.




I squeezed out the lemon juice in a bowl with a little water to dilute, the black soap and then honey.



I allowed the black soap to melt in the solution for some hours (you can use a hand blender to stir and thoroughly blend the mix).



When soap had melted, I mixed thoroughly and poured into my spray bottle.



I used it as I did for the Black Soap + Water and the effect was worse.

As soon as I rubbed the now-liquid soap blend on my face, I felt this stingy, harsh, tingly itchiness. I could not wait for another second so I quickly washed it out.

After the second and third day, I noticed this Sting feeling happened because the lemon somehow found its way into the acne. Whenever I'm done bathing, the pimples feel all dried up and I just scrub my face to take out its dried surface.

But the harshness was extreme.

Dudu Osun Black Soap


First, you know that Dudu Osun contains (as stated) Aloe Vera, Lime Juice, Shea Butter, Palm Kernel Oil, Pure Honey, Cocoa Pod ash, etc.

From my other explanations and experiences, you would already notice that the process of making black soap does not really include a natural moisturizer. this means that  Black soap is naturally dry for the skin.
The lime in Dudu Osun means that you should expect that tingly, itchy and dry feel when used for the first time on acne face.

There was really no difference between my Black Soap + Lemon + Honey experience when compared with Dudu Osun, even after I have used over 500mls of melted part of each.


Black Soap + Honey + Lemon + Shea Butter








I concluded that Black soap was lacking a moisturizer so I thought about blending in Shea butter.
I melted a little but reasonable amount of Shea Butter with a double boiler, poured it into my Black Soap mix and blended thoroughly.


The feel is amazing. It is not drying at all. It feels fresher and more friendly with my skin. i still get the same result from the effect of Lemon.

I also added melted Shea Butter to Dudu Osun and Black Soap + water. For Dudu Osun, I worked perfectly, not drying as it would have normally but the itchy lime is still at work.


Black Soap + Honey + Water + Shea Butter


This one that worked best for me and for every normal to dry skin.








It is silky and moisturizes well. this is what I am using currently and I 'm really enjoying it.

As for the acne. I made Lemon Juice and Rose oil mixed with warm water. I used cotton wool to clean my face when needed and I feel the rose oil also has its own way of calming the entire solution.

I think that you should discover you kind of skin by testing a section with the product of your choice. this will help you decide if you can go for it or not.

I sure have discovered what works for me,body and hair.

And don't panic, a little Shea Butter will not stop your soap from lathering. Noway. It is vegetable fat and the right quantity too won't harm. I used about 5 oz for 600 ml.

It is indeed a good moisturizer.



Dudu Osun,is still on my mind but only when I run out of Black Soap supplies.

If you need supplies for your own DIY moisturizing soap, send a mail


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bea vs Bae, Which Pet name would you Prefer

Rihanna's "Flash Tattoo" vs Hausa-Nigerian "laali" Body Art; See Pictures